Family Pictures Complete!

Well I finally got my disc of photos and am ready to share! These are just a few (very few) of my personal favorites. I have so many to choose from!!! If you want to see more then you need to go to this blog to see what Leilani Rogers Photographer posted.



Backyard Adventures – Part 2

Well it is finally Done!!  It was a much longer project then anticipated. Mostly because of a mistake I made. But we did it!

We went from this

(Do you see the little stream down the middle. What I pain. I got to rake that whole area level. Great Ab workout though)

To this!!!

Phew! And it looks fantastic, if I do say so myself. Amazing what a little green will do.

So here is how it all went down.

First we had this fabulous little present delivered.

Two beautiful pallets of Emerald Zoysia. Remember the number two, as that becomes important later.

But before we could place it in its new home we needed a sprinkler system. We have one for the front and side yards, but not the back. That is where Eco Irrigation comes in. This is a fabulous company owned by our friends Adam and Ally Benefield. And I will Shamelessly Plug them all day, as I think Adam and his crew do an amazing job. Anyway bright and early on Saturday these fantastic hard working men came, dug, laid and buried our sprinklers in record time. Adam made sure it was all in working order, and we were good to go!

It was pretty exciting. Once they cleared out we started laying the sod. My dad, brother, myself and Dan were on this crew.  This is where we noticed that two pallets of sod only gets us This Far.

This is what we now refer to as The Mistake of 2012, or That Time Tannie Was Finally Wrong. Yes I messed up. See we had had Adam give us an estimate to complete our previous house before we sold it. We never used that estimate as the person who bought the house did not care that there was not enough grass in the backyard. That estimate was for 2 pallets. This backyard is a 4 pallet backyard. Somehow I got all switched in my head. *sigh*.

So I quickly got on the phone and ordered two more pallets, but that meant we had to wait…

and wait…

and wait…

All the way till the following Thursday, and then we got another beautiful present.

So to make up for my blunder, I completed the rest of the yard by myself. Yep. I laid down a pallet and a half of sod all by my mighty self. I left the edges for Dan. He likes the detail work. :-)

So I feel super amazing about myself, and Dan was super grateful that he didn’t have to do it. So here is another look at where we are at today.

So pretty.

And the sprinkler system is wonderful too!!!

I love having this large project off The List.

Next giant project is the backsplash in the kitchen. But that is going to be a while still.

Anyone else become a Weekend Warrior (or in my case Weekend and Then Some Warrior) lately?  Tell us about it!

Backyard Adventures?

Well I have been debating whether or not to post this, as it is not fully complete yet. However, seeing as I have several Not Complete projects jammed up in the line, something needs to be done. Therefore we present to you a backyard makeover…

…sort of.

We began this project a few weeks ago. And this weekend will see the complete of it. Finally! I am very excited because up until this future weekend our backyard has/is a dirt pit.

Like so.

Since I took this picture, it has rained…and rained…and rained…

and rained.

So now it is a dirt/mud pit with a stream down the middle. More on that another time.

Now I am very grateful that it rained so much. Everyone knows Texas needs it. But it has made for a very slow Complete The Backyard project. But the wait is over. This Friday the grass will be dropped off, and early Saturday Morning we have Eco Irrigation coming to complete the sprinkler system. Once that is done we will be laying the sod down like nobody’s business. Should be quite the eventful day.

However we did do a little baby project while we were waiting. Which I will partially share with you, as it is partially finished.

We have a fence that is not as private as one would like, therefore a shrubbery was called for!

Hehe, sorry I couldn’t help it. :-)

Moving on. So we outlined the future home for the shrubbery like so.

We then consented the HOA manual to see what type of edging we could get away with.

We went with the classic Shovel Cut.

A full disclosure, I had never heard of a Shovel Cut until that moment.

Then it was time to grab all the “stuff” we would need with our handy dandy Wheel Barrow.

We chose a blooming type shrubbery that had one VERY special quality.

Yep Deer don’t like, so The Smithocracy LOVES it! :-)

We had to get some special permission to use a Camellia as it was not on the HOA approved planting list. It was pretty simple to get the permission, though, so no complaints there.

We lined them up and stuck them in the ground.

The rest will have to be “To be Continued” after this weekend!

Meanwhile we also got rid of these nasties.

Yuck, I hate cactus.

So wish us luck and hopefully I will get to show you something beautiful next week!  Also I know I promised a Daybed. Which is built btw. However, it still needs paint and it has proven a little more difficult then anticipated. But it does look fabulous so far!!!